Wednesday, August 03, 2005

 

Aug. 3 issue: Where's the verb?

The headline on today's page 4 story about Chicago's new City Hall hiring monitor, Noelle Brennan, just says: "City Hall monitor". This head doesn't tell us what this City Hall monitor does or why the position exists. Headlines should include verbs or at least somehow imply verbs. It is very hard to write an informative headline with such a large font and so little space; that's why you just have to take the time to juggle a lot of different combinations of nouns, adjectives and verbs until something acceptable fits. Hell, I'm having trouble thinking of a good one for this. If it were my job, I'd keep thinking about it...

Comments:
The Trib headline was "City gets Hall monitor"

There are two ways to look at this. 1) RedEye lazily redacted Trib headline... bad 2) RedEye headline style influencing Trib ... good. I'll side with the latter. I chuckled when I saw the "Hall monitor" hed in the Trib. For a minute, I thought I was reading the Sun-Times.

--An
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?